Friday, May 25, 2012

Food Friday: No Bake Energy Bites

Good morning dear friends... Did you miss last weeks post? If so, just click HERE!
Anyways... Back to business...
Want a quick pick-me-up breakfast idea? Then you, my friend, have come to the right place!
These taste just like the no-bakes you remember snacking on as a child-but without all the fatty ingredients! I found THIS recipe on Pinterest {AKA my on-line BFF} and just substituted to my liking. Here we go!
So stinkin' tasty...

What you will need:
1 cup dry oatmeal {I used old-fashioned rolled oats}
1 cup toasted coconut flakes
1/2 cup peanut butter {I used a natural kind and it's fantastic}
1/2 cup ground flaxseed or wheat germ
1/2 cup chocolate chips {optional-I used half white half dark}
1/3 cup honey
1 tsp. vanilla
STEP 1: Stir all ingredients together in a medium bowl until thoroughly mixed. 
Before the wet ingredients
All mixed up and should look like this
STEP 2: Let chill in the refrigerator for half an hour. {During this time you can make yourself a cup of coffee/tea and catch up on some blog reading}
STEP 3: Once chilled, roll into balls of whatever size you would like. {I rolled mine into about 1 inch balls} Make sure to store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 1 week.

STEP 4: ENJOY!!
This treat is fabulous for snacking on a bike-ride or hike, breakfast on the go, or if you are a lover of these like I am, it's good anytime of the day! :)

Here are a few substitutions you could make: 
Your favorite nut butter {almond butter, sunflower seed butter, etc.} for the peanut butter.
And you could also add in some wheat germ in place of some or all of the flaxseed. 
* I would caution, though, against substituting agave nectar for the honey, as the honey’s thickness helps hold things together.
Some other fun substitutions for the chocolate chips {or an addition to them} could include:
chopped dried fruit {apricots, dates, raisins, etc.}
dried berries {cranberries, cherries, etc.}
chopped almonds, pecans, walnuts, or sunflower seeds
other chips {butterscotch, dark chocolate, milk chocolate, white chocolate, M&Ms, etc.}
other grains {different kinds of oatmeal, rice cereal, etc.}

Hope you try these any enjoy them, as much as my hubby and I do!!

Much Love,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment