Saturday, May 5, 2012

DIY: Birthday Invitations

Sooo... It's officially my birthday month! Anyone who knows me well knows that I LOVE my birthday! It's so much fun that I celebrate it all month with special emphasis on the week of my birthday. Ha!
Ever since I was little, my mom has always made a BIG deal about each of us kids' birthdays. We had AMAZING parties with whatever theme we wanted and she would go all out. As I got a little older, I went through this phase where I would be embarrassed at this for some reason {sorry mom} and wanted smaller and simpler parties. 
Example: Chuck E. Cheese's parties or one year I picked my two besties to go to Great America for an all expense paid day of fun. 
Although I'm not living with my parents anymore and my mom isn't here to spoil me rotten, I've adapted this love for parties again. Last year, I had an amazing birthday party. I loved it. I had sort of a "vintage, light pink" theme and had family and friends came to celebrate with me. We had a blast! Anyways, back to the DIY part of this post. I'm going to show you how I made the invites to my party! Sorry if in a few parts it looks awkward, I faded where the personal info was since this party was not at my own home. Enjoy!

Here is my finished invite. I just loved how they turned out. Who doesn’t go gaga for ruffles? {Not me!}

What you will need:
1. Paper of choice 
2. Tissue paper
3. Scissors
4. Sewing machine
5. Small flower or jewel

STEP ONE: Get together your paper {I went to Joanne’s and bought 12×12 scrapbooking paper} and scissors. Cut out the size cards you want. I cut 5×7 cards. 
You should now have your cards cut out!

STEP TWO: Print your invitations.

STEP THREE: Take your tissue paper and cute into about 2 inch strips. Now accordion-style fold it all the way down. 
You should now have this… Your “ruffle”.

STEP FOUR: Cut sides of “ruffle” down to the size you want. I did about 1.5 inches. You don’t want your ruffle to be too big as it would take over your invite! Lay out your ruffle on your invite to eyeball how big it should be. Now sew your ruffle onto your invitation. 


STEP FIVE: All you have to do now is place a small flower, gem or whatever creative thing you can think of on the bottom of your ruffle. 


STEP SIX: Relax, you just made a beautiful invitation! Congrats!

Hope you enjoyed this tutorial!!

Much Love, 
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment